Skip to main content

The Family by Louise Jensen. Part two


It's been a bit manic around here lately, work has taken over and I've started running (that's another blog post!) and I'm hooked but it means I've struggled to find time to read.

However, I was given a free copy of this book by HQ and NetGalley in return for an honest review and as I said in part one, the free ebook version I couldn't cope with. I'm really funny about things like that, a slight formatting issue and my head can't cope so I managed to get a paperback copy in my local supermarket.

It's taken me a while to read, that's usually a good indication of how I find a book. But not this one! It was quite slow to start, building the story up.  Laura recently widowed and mother of Tilly, together they are about to lose everything, her job, their house, their family. A business deal gone wrong, a break down with their family it's all looking dire.  But when Laura finds out about a local community who are willing to help, she decides that living there will help her through their problems.

As I said I found the story was quite slow to start but now I've finished the book , I understand why all that information was required.  You know from the blurb that there's a death, but even up until it happens you are unsure of who it is.  The twists and turns in their story are amazing, the more I read on, the more things made sense and bits of the story starting falling together in a way I hadn't expected.

Financial Hardship.
A community.
Three deaths.
A body.
A loving Family.

But Who?

The characters are all really good, even Hazel and Daisy whose parts aren't great but they all add to the overall feel of the community and makes you question over and over who is it.  There are clues all along but it's not till the end that it all falls into place.  The last fifteen chapters I desperately wanted to get through, I wanted to know what happened to Laura and Tilly and whether they survived their experiences within the community.

A really good story, slow to start but so much attention to detail, I couldn't put it down come the end.

I gave it 4 stars on Goodreads.

If anyone would like my copy of The Family (UK only) please get in touch and I'll forward it on.
moors.mummy@gmail.com  (first come, first served!)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Ladies' Midnight Swim Club by Faith Hogan

Three women. Three different stages of life. United by one thing: the chance to start again. 'Uplifting, emotional and brimming with warmth and humour' – Cathy Bramley When Elizabeth's husband dies, leaving her with crippling debt, the only person she can turn to is her friend, Jo. Soon Jo has called in her daughter, Lucy, to help save Elizabeth from bankruptcy. Leaving her old life behind, Lucy is determined to make the most of her fresh start. As life slowly begins to return to normal, these three women, thrown together by circumstance, become fast friends. But then Jo's world is turned upside down when she receives some shocking news. In search of solace, Jo and Elizabeth find themselves enjoying midnight dips in the freezing Irish Sea. Here they can laugh, cry and wash away all their fears. As well as conjure a fundraising plan for the local hospice that will bring the whole community together... From bestselling Irish writer Faith Hogan, The Ladies' Midnight Sw...

The Tattooist of Auschwitz by Heather Morris

So I have seen this book many times whilst out shopping but have never bought it. On Thursday I went shopping and picked it up, read the blurb and put it back on the shelf.  When I got home I downloaded it onto my kindle ready for a weekend at the beach house. Unfortunately I was still reading The Winter Secret and with a poorly child I didn't get that finished until yesterday. With the 10 year old flaked out on the sofa all day, I decided to start reading it. I knew the reviews were good, but quickly realised how good this book is.  It is based on a true story, one that Heather Morris has researched and written with the help of Lale (the main character) and his son. It is a beautiful moving love story surrounded by the horrific day to day happenings of Auschwitz.  Morris brings very clear and vivid imagery to her writing, and part of me, even though I know what happened in concentration camps, when it's written from the mouth of one survivor, it still left me num...

Peter Duck by Arthur Ransome

I love Swallows and Amazons, like properly love it. It takes me right back to being a child and the carefree summers we had. I use to run wild at the beach house, up and down the cliff, on the beach, late nights swims, beach bonfires, my child hood was idyllic and I was very lucky to have the beach house. I still am. Summers also c onsisted of watching Huckleberry Finn on telly whilst eating breakfast. It’s funny what you remember, isn’t it. Swallows and Amazons was part of my child hood. I loved the film (1974 version) and the fact it was so close to the book. If only we’d had a little sailing dingy and an island my summers would have been perfect.  I decided to read Peter Duck having not read any other of the series of book. I borrowed it from the library and I have to admit I’ve really struggled with it. It’s just not the same. The characters are all there, including Captain Flint, but the Peter Duck character with his pirate talk just really annoyed me. It kind of lost the ...