Skip to main content

You Me and The Movies by Fiona Collins



 I was sent a pre publication copy of this book by Netgalley in return for an honest review.





I loved this book, really loved it. I read it over two evenings whilst on holiday and i couldn't put it down.

Arden Hall has recently come out of an abusive relationship and even though she has a son (not the abusive partner's) she is now living alone and trying to rebuild her life. Whilst visiting a friend in hospital a chance encounter with an ex lover makes Arden reminisce over her previous relationship with him.

The book jumps from past to present, and even though I struggle with this usually, it was really easy to follow in this book. As Arden lives in the present, visiting her ex lover in hospital, she also looks back at their relationship whilst she was at university. The descriptions of the time are very good and took me back to my university days, the music, the clothes and the films. Even though I'm not a great movie buff and I haven't seen all the films mentioned this didn't detract from the storyline in any way.

I liked all the characters in this book, even Arden's mother, who was a bit extreme but it all adds to the way it makes you feel about Arden.  You hope that they rekindle their romance once Mac is out of hospital and right up to the end of the story there are twists to Arden's relationships, it all works out well for her in the end though.

The plot was brilliant, cleverly written and mesmerising, I had to read on to find out what happened to both Arden and Mac.

This was a great holiday read and one that I wish hadn't ended.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Ladies' Midnight Swim Club by Faith Hogan

Three women. Three different stages of life. United by one thing: the chance to start again. 'Uplifting, emotional and brimming with warmth and humour' – Cathy Bramley When Elizabeth's husband dies, leaving her with crippling debt, the only person she can turn to is her friend, Jo. Soon Jo has called in her daughter, Lucy, to help save Elizabeth from bankruptcy. Leaving her old life behind, Lucy is determined to make the most of her fresh start. As life slowly begins to return to normal, these three women, thrown together by circumstance, become fast friends. But then Jo's world is turned upside down when she receives some shocking news. In search of solace, Jo and Elizabeth find themselves enjoying midnight dips in the freezing Irish Sea. Here they can laugh, cry and wash away all their fears. As well as conjure a fundraising plan for the local hospice that will bring the whole community together... From bestselling Irish writer Faith Hogan, The Ladies' Midnight Sw...

The Tattooist of Auschwitz by Heather Morris

So I have seen this book many times whilst out shopping but have never bought it. On Thursday I went shopping and picked it up, read the blurb and put it back on the shelf.  When I got home I downloaded it onto my kindle ready for a weekend at the beach house. Unfortunately I was still reading The Winter Secret and with a poorly child I didn't get that finished until yesterday. With the 10 year old flaked out on the sofa all day, I decided to start reading it. I knew the reviews were good, but quickly realised how good this book is.  It is based on a true story, one that Heather Morris has researched and written with the help of Lale (the main character) and his son. It is a beautiful moving love story surrounded by the horrific day to day happenings of Auschwitz.  Morris brings very clear and vivid imagery to her writing, and part of me, even though I know what happened in concentration camps, when it's written from the mouth of one survivor, it still left me num...

Peter Duck by Arthur Ransome

I love Swallows and Amazons, like properly love it. It takes me right back to being a child and the carefree summers we had. I use to run wild at the beach house, up and down the cliff, on the beach, late nights swims, beach bonfires, my child hood was idyllic and I was very lucky to have the beach house. I still am. Summers also c onsisted of watching Huckleberry Finn on telly whilst eating breakfast. It’s funny what you remember, isn’t it. Swallows and Amazons was part of my child hood. I loved the film (1974 version) and the fact it was so close to the book. If only we’d had a little sailing dingy and an island my summers would have been perfect.  I decided to read Peter Duck having not read any other of the series of book. I borrowed it from the library and I have to admit I’ve really struggled with it. It’s just not the same. The characters are all there, including Captain Flint, but the Peter Duck character with his pirate talk just really annoyed me. It kind of lost the ...