Skip to main content

The Cornish Village School : Summer Love by Kitty Wilson.





I was sent a pre publication copy of this book in return for an honest review by Netgalley.

The first thing I will say about this book is that it is the third in a series - I haven’t read the other two and you don’t need to. From what I understand a few of the characters and settings are the same but this book is fine to read on its own without the prior knowledge of storylines or characters.

The book is set in a small Cornish village and the main character is Pippa Parkin, a teaching assistant, full of life, bubbly and who brings a smile to the room whenever she enters but who’s love life is not so flamboyant! Her mother is desperately trying to get her together with childhood and family friend James, who is polite and courteous when he needs to be but Pippa sees straight through him and decides he’s not the man for her!

When her class teacher leaves on maternity at Easter, her temporary cover teacher, Kam, (male, good looking- we know where this is going) joins the small village school and Pippa is instantly smitten, but knows that their relationship can only be professional.  She introduces him to village life (the local pub) and he quickly realises that Cornish life is what he wants (and Pippa).

The story follows the development of their relationship, the fun they have at school, looking for the escaped class hamster, the May fayre, and the half term night out where their feelings for each other are finally shown. But they remain professional in their work. Kam decides to write Pippa  a letter explaining how he feels but it gets mislaid and feeling that she has blanked him or doesn’t feel the same way, their relationship starts to fade.

After weeks of not talking and each other giving the other one the cold shoulder, Pippa realises the error and sets things straight in a way only Pippa can!

A great, funny, happy ending, which you expect from the outcome, but it is so well written I was giggling out loud imagining the scene.

If you want an easy summer read, this is the perfect book for lounging by the pool or in your garden.  It doesn’t require much thinking, it’s a great little plot and the characters are easy to relate to. 

I really enjoyed it, I liked the fact that it's based in Cornwall and as an ex teacher in North Cornwall I  could relate to the settings and places well, I could picture it where I worked! I read it over three evenings and would give it four stars. 
(The only negatives were a few grammatical errors - which the teacher in me finds hard to ignore!) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Ladies' Midnight Swim Club by Faith Hogan

Three women. Three different stages of life. United by one thing: the chance to start again. 'Uplifting, emotional and brimming with warmth and humour' – Cathy Bramley When Elizabeth's husband dies, leaving her with crippling debt, the only person she can turn to is her friend, Jo. Soon Jo has called in her daughter, Lucy, to help save Elizabeth from bankruptcy. Leaving her old life behind, Lucy is determined to make the most of her fresh start. As life slowly begins to return to normal, these three women, thrown together by circumstance, become fast friends. But then Jo's world is turned upside down when she receives some shocking news. In search of solace, Jo and Elizabeth find themselves enjoying midnight dips in the freezing Irish Sea. Here they can laugh, cry and wash away all their fears. As well as conjure a fundraising plan for the local hospice that will bring the whole community together... From bestselling Irish writer Faith Hogan, The Ladies' Midnight Sw...

The Tattooist of Auschwitz by Heather Morris

So I have seen this book many times whilst out shopping but have never bought it. On Thursday I went shopping and picked it up, read the blurb and put it back on the shelf.  When I got home I downloaded it onto my kindle ready for a weekend at the beach house. Unfortunately I was still reading The Winter Secret and with a poorly child I didn't get that finished until yesterday. With the 10 year old flaked out on the sofa all day, I decided to start reading it. I knew the reviews were good, but quickly realised how good this book is.  It is based on a true story, one that Heather Morris has researched and written with the help of Lale (the main character) and his son. It is a beautiful moving love story surrounded by the horrific day to day happenings of Auschwitz.  Morris brings very clear and vivid imagery to her writing, and part of me, even though I know what happened in concentration camps, when it's written from the mouth of one survivor, it still left me num...

Peter Duck by Arthur Ransome

I love Swallows and Amazons, like properly love it. It takes me right back to being a child and the carefree summers we had. I use to run wild at the beach house, up and down the cliff, on the beach, late nights swims, beach bonfires, my child hood was idyllic and I was very lucky to have the beach house. I still am. Summers also c onsisted of watching Huckleberry Finn on telly whilst eating breakfast. It’s funny what you remember, isn’t it. Swallows and Amazons was part of my child hood. I loved the film (1974 version) and the fact it was so close to the book. If only we’d had a little sailing dingy and an island my summers would have been perfect.  I decided to read Peter Duck having not read any other of the series of book. I borrowed it from the library and I have to admit I’ve really struggled with it. It’s just not the same. The characters are all there, including Captain Flint, but the Peter Duck character with his pirate talk just really annoyed me. It kind of lost the ...